When rectally absorbed, ethanol will still eventually arrive at the liver, but the high alcohol content could overwhelm the organ. Pertinent autopsy findings included no external injury or indicia of IV drug abuse. Metabolism of ethanol begins as soon as it reaches the gastric mucosa. In total, the man consumed two large bottles of sherry, containing about three liters of the alcohol. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Accidental intrarectal administration of alcohol enema induces proctocolitis and fecal incontinence.
Practitioners should be mindful that ethanol intoxication may occur through additional routes and that the degree of intoxication may be less predictable.
Self-Administered Ethanol Enema Causing Accidental Death
Acute colitis due to intrarectal administration of ethanol is uncommonly reported and likely underrecognized [ 10 ]. However, accidental death is extremely rare with rectal administration. An alcohol enema is a faster method of alcohol intoxication since the alcohol is absorbed directly into the bloodstream. Alcohol-induced proctitis in a human. Additionally, consuming the alcohol rectally neutralizes the body's ability to reject the toxin by vomiting. A tube was connected to the enema bag and the other end inserted into the patient's rectum. Analysis of the liquid in the enema bag revealed the presence of alcohol and the liquid was concluded to be white wine.